Real Deal Chocolate Chip Cookies
from Danielle Walker at Against All Grain
1/4 cup palm shortening or grass-fed butter
1/4 cup coconut palm sugar
2 T honey
1 large egg, room temperature
2 t vanilla
1 1/2 cup almond flour
2 T coconut flour
1/2 t baking soda
1/2 t sea salt
1/2 cup chocolate chips
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. In a food processor, cream the palm shortening, coconut sugar, honey, egg, and vanilla until smooth and fluffy.
3. Add the almond flour, coconut flour, baking soda, and sea salt and mix again until combined. Scrape down the sides of the bowl if needed in order to incorporate all of the flours. Pulse once or twice more.
4. Remove food processor bowl and stir in the chocolate chips by hand.
5. Place golf-ball sized scoops of dough on cookie sheet lined with parchment paper.
6. Bake for 9-12 minutes, until slightly golden brown around edges. Do not over bake.
In my opinion, these are the BEST gluten free (and grain free) chocolate chip cookies you can make. I've tried many different recipes and nothing I've tried comes close.
1. Buy the palm shortening—it's worth it.
2. I only use 1 T honey. The chocolate chips add plenty of sweetness.
3. Carefully measure the coconut flour and if you double the recipe, do not double the coconut flour.
4. I like to use a mix of chocolate chips. When I have them, I use these, plus Nestle Toll House. The result is worth the effort.
Once you've tasted these cookies, you may never go back. They are less sweet, more filling and don't cause that instant sugar headache thing we all hate.